Begin the Dance
Preview the 2016 A Game of Thrones™: The Card Game Store Championship Prizes
“Now we will begin the dance.”
- Syrio Forel
Fantasy Flight Games is proud to reveal the prizes of the 2016 A Game of Thrones™: The Card Game Store Championships!
Designed to welcome players of all levels, a Store Championship is a relaxed tournament that encourages a fun and friendly environment for all of its participants. As the foundation of the Championship Series, Store Championships celebrate the local game store and its players as the most important part of the gaming community. The November Track Store Championships will kick off the week after the Fantasy Flight Games World Championship and will run from November 12, 2016 to February 25, 2017. Click here a listing of U.S. Store Championship locations!
What are the Prizes for the 2016 A Game of Thrones: The Card Game Store Championships?
Surviving the schemes and plots of Westeros is a tall task. Each A Game of Thrones: The Card Game Store Championship will have a variety of prizes to reward the cunning and skilled players who do.
- Top 32 - The top thirty-two players will each receive a copy of the alternate art card “Syrio Forel” - a card that can train your other characters in the way of the Water Dance.
- Top 8 - The top eight players will each receive a Syrio Forel deckbox to house their allies and armies.
- Top 4 - The top four players will each receive a playmat full of flowing colors depicting Ser Robar Royce.
- Top 2 - The top two players will each receive a printed acrylic token to be used with the card “Tears of Lys”.
- First Place - The winner will receive a color printed plaque and a first round bye (not pictured) to a 2017 A Game of Thrones: The Card Game Regional Championship of their choice!
On Ravens' Wings: 2016 World Championship Celebration
The 2016 A Game of Thrones: The Card Game Store Championship Kit includes two copies of “The Winds of Winter”, the alternate art card being given out at the 2016 A Game of Thrones: The Card Game World Championship.
Stores that are hosting a Store Championship will also be scheduling a World Championship Celebration sometime during November 2nd - 6th. During the event, they may stream the 2016 World Championships live from our Twitch channel, www.twitch.com/ffglive, so that you can see all the action.
Here are some examples of events that your store might run:
- Tournament: Award the cards to the top two finishers.
- Open Play: At a prearranged time, give the cards to two random attendees.
- Creative: Trivia, a costume contest, or even a themed event of their own creation, with the cards going to the selected winners!
Battle of the Trident
In addition to these prizes, each Store Championship kit will contain prizes for the Battle of the Trident special event where players will vote for one of three agendas to be printed in a future expansion. This will include:
Participation - 32 copies of the alt-art card “Summons”.
Winner - One playmat depicting the city of King’s Landing.
Stores will offer the Battle of the Trident event on November 12th or 13th. International stores may offer these events during a later weekend, depending on kit availability in their territory. For more information on the Battle of the Trident event, read our announcement!
What is a Store Championship?
Every store in good standing has the opportunity to run a single Store Championship for each game supported by Organized Play by preordering a kit six months before its release. These tournaments are meant to be a highly-accessible introduction to the competitive Championship series of tournaments.
Relaxed Tournament Tier: Tournaments at this tier are welcoming to all players, regardless of experience level. The focus is on creating a fun and friendly environment. At the Relaxed tier, the leaders of the event (organizer, marshal, and/or judge) may play in the event as long as there are two or more designated leaders.
Basic Tournament Structure: The Basic tournament structure is designed to be very accessible, especially for newer participants. This structure provides a tournament experience that requires a modest commitment of time and resources from organizers and players.
Over the coming months, numerous players will attend 2016 Store Championships in an effort to win these awesome prizes. Don’t miss out on your chance to acquire some of these prizes for yourself and add them to your collection!
Note: The alternate art cards in this kit are produced via FFG's In-House Manufacturing and may appear slightly different in color and texture from the game's other cards. To be tournament legal, these cards must be sleeved with opaque or art sleeves.
in our forums!