Los Scorpiones and 14K
About the Great 2018 Community Card Design at Android: Magnum Opus
“Is your neighbor secretly a violent criminal? The answer to this chilling question and more, right after the break.”
–Shannon Claire, SSN 5
Android: Magnum Opus is coming!
Taking place this September 7th – 9th at the Fantasy Flight Games Center in Roseville, MN, Android: Magnum Opus promises attendees a uniquely immersive experience in the Android setting.
- First and foremost, there's the final World Championship tournament for Android: Netrunner. As the game's Organized Play comes to a close, we expect this 2018 World Championship tournament to serve as a shining testament to the player community, as well as the fantastic level at which the game's top players advance their agendas and make their runs.
- In addition, attendees will find the World Championship wrapped into a larger thematic experience in the Android settting. The World Championships factor into this "Turf Wars" competition, as do several unique events for Android: Netrunner and the Genesys roleplaying system.
As we noted in the event's announcement, these side events include a one-versus-many variant for Android: Netrunner and a chance to enjoy a Genesys roleplaying adventure in the Android setting. Moreover, the results of these events will be added to the results of the World Champonship tournament and Sunday's Android: Netrunner side event to determine which orgcrime outfit rises to prominence in New Angeles and gains control of the lucrative Beanstalk's smuggling trade.
Today, we are pleased to announce that attendees at Android: Magnum Opus will also have a chance to participate in another special event—the Great 2018 Android: Netrunner Community Card Design!
When you attend Android: Magnum Opus, you'll find yourself assigned to either Los Scorpiones or 14K. Then, throughout your Day 1 rounds of the Android: Netrunner World Championships, you'll help design a new card for the orgcrime outfit to which you've been assigned!
The Great 2018 Android: Netrunner Community Card Design
Who are Los Scorpiones and 14K? Why should you care which of these orgcrime outfits gains primacy in the Beanstalk's smuggling? These are two of the questions you'll explore as an attendee at Android: Magnum Opus, and one of the first ways you'll find yourself connected is through the Great 2018 Android: Netrunner Community Card Design!
Here's how it works:
1. When you registered for Android: Magnum Opus, you selected either Day 1A (Friday) or Day 1B (Saturday) of the Android: Netrunner World Championships.
- All players assigned to Day 1A will be part of "Los Scorpiones."
- All players assigned to Day 1B will be part of "14K."
2. Day 1A players will work together to design a card themed around Los Scorpiones. Day 1B players will work together to design a card themed around 14K.
3. Through the first six rounds you play on Day 1, you'll have the chance to help shape the card's text by voting for one of two possible options.
4. Two vote tokens will be placed at your table each round. You earn a vote for each game you win.
5. Votes will be tallied after the 2nd, 4th, and 6th rounds. After each tally, we'll post an image of the card with the updated text. The text your team selects at each of these points will determine the options for the next rounds of voting!
6. After the 6th round, your team will have finalized its card design, and you'll be able to collect a copy of the card after the close of Round 7. You'll also be able to collect a copy of the other team's card design on Sunday, and both cards will be legal for all of Sunday's side events!
Both the Los Scorpiones and 14K cards will also be made available at a later date for free download from the Android: Netrunner website.
Know Your Criminal Organization
Okay, let's imagine that you're headed to Android: Magnum Opus and you're planning to participate in the Great 2018 Android: Netrunner Community Card Design… Great! Now, how do you know what the card should do? Obviously, you want the card to do something cool in the game, but how will you anchor it in the Android setting? How will it capture the flavor of your orgcrime outfit? After all, who are Los Scorpiones? Who are 14K?
The answer, as outlined in The Worlds of Android, is that there are four major orgcrime outfits in New Angeles—Los Scorpiones, 14K, the Mafia, and the Yakuza.
Los Scorpiones are a relatively small player in the New Angelino criminal underworld, but they were one of the first to move in during the construction of the Beanstalk. Base de Cayambe is their home turf, and they have established a wide and diversified list of contacts that grant them some leverage against their larger competitors.
Specializing in the more gruesome elements of organized crime, Los Scorpiones profit primarily from their drug trade, dealing in stim and related amphetamines. They also dabble in gun running, assassinations, and "organ grinding," a particularly heinous crime that sees people kidnapped and killed for their organs and cybernetic enhancements.
For all their brutal reputation, though, Los Scorpiones benefit from the brilliant and charismatic leadership of local bosses like Lívia Teixeira and Miguel "Monsignor" Morena, which suggests the organization may have grander aspirations for the future.
Founded in Guangzhou, China shortly after World War II, 14K established itself in New Angeles as the largest and most powerful of the Chinese triads. Among other things, this means their New Angelino operations are connected to endeavors that reach to their headquarters in Hong Kong, back to San San, out to Kampala, up the Beanstalk to Heinlein, and out into the solar system.
14K have long been the world's leading supplier of opiates and have their hands in illegal arms trafficking, money laundering, and counterfeiting. They have also entrenched themselves in the world of corporations and politics, with ties to many of the world's largest lobbying firms, especially in America.
The triad's operations in New Angeles are overseen by Li Cheong Hua, or "Mr. Li," who has earned a well-deserved reputation for ruling with an iron fist inside of a velvet glove. Because Mr. Li prefers to pursue his goals through negotiation, he and 14K can be good partners for anyone willing to abide by their terms.
Although Mr. Li prefers to avoid violence if he can, he will not hesitate to make examples of his enemies when he deems it necessary. In such cases, his main enforcer is the sadistic killer known only as Tanaka.
Fight for Your Turf
Android: Magnum Opus is your chance to celebrate the legacy of Android: Netrunner The Card Game and play in its final World Championship tournament. Attendees will enjoy the game's fantastic player community, meet top players from around the world, and immerse themselves more deeply than ever in the world of Android.
With the special one-versus-many Android: Netrunner multiplayer experience, a Genesys roleplaying adventure set in the Android universe, the Great 2018 Android: Netrunner Community Card Design, and the spirited team "Turf Wars" competition, Android: Magnum Opus promises to be a celebration of everything players have come to love about Android: Netrunner and the Android setting!
General registration for this event is now closed as it has already sold out. However, if you earned a reserved seat for the 2018 Android: Netrunner World Championship, there's still time for you to claim it!